I suggest you ...

Parent/Guardian information for minors

Enter parent/guardian information for patients that are minors.

76 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Elias shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminRyan (Vice President, Hands On Technology Inc.) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We don't have specific fields for this but in the patient information - you can use the custom fields on the patient information to collect this info for minors.

If you want, we can create a custom alert, or vital to make sure it's entered if they are a minor.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ryan - did this ever happen? The ability to put the information in is there. WOuld love the software to check DOB and ***require*** that parent/guardian info be entered. Seems like a pretty simple change....

• Elias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since the last update included contact information and other information tabs in the Patient Information, you can add a parent/guardian tab with a check box if parent is guarantor. I think have an option to include SSN is a good idea even though we don't collect SSN from patients or guarantors. That's an additional liability I don't want to take on. Similar to not storing credit card numbers within TO, I don't want to have SSN numbers and risk an extremely unlikely security breach. Those accounts sent to collections didn't have any problems collecting without SSN.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we also need the guarantor social number in case the account has to be sent to collections and the account has to be reported for the guarantor info.

• AdminRyan (Vice President, Hands On Technology Inc.) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah - we talked about this in a development meeting a few weeks ago as we plan future features, changes, fixes, etc. I think the easiest thing is that if we add an application option that would force the date of birth to be required on the patient information (otherwise it wouldn't be able to check the age) - and then when you create a new case, or are editing a case, if the age is less than 18 it would require the guardian / guarantor. We're starting to see a lot of Pediatric practices using TheraOffice that are asking for this and a few other age related features that we just never had before or were lower priority. So we're trying to get these needed features into the software. Now that the web version has been released, we're going to be focusing on adding new features pretty rapidly to the on-site and the web version in the next few updates.

• Elias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the guarantor field, can you add the button to automatically add the contact information from the patient info like in the insurance form. Usually, the address and phone number is the same especially when the patient is a minor. Thanks

Ryan - Any thought given to this one? Seens like a pretty easy one... if age < 18, make guarantor information required fields

• Karen S Shuler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely an important change that I think needs looked at. I agree that to have a required field pop up for parent/guardian information linked to the birth date would be ideal. A little more specific information as well, like who the person is, mother, father etc...

• Erin G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Becca, I can not imagine what this is like for you since you are a pediatric provider...we have realized the need for this and our patient volume that are minors is minimal! This should definitely be a required field based on the patient date of birth that is entered. There are legal ramifications pertaining to contacting minors regarding bills and collections! Be aware that the guarnator information is case specific so you have to select a guarn for each case that is created!

• Becca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Guarantor information is of limited usefulness to us as a pediatric therapy provider. In our case, the parent information is used much more frequently than just as a guarantor. It would be optimal to have parent information appear with the patient information to allow us more accurate contact designation; to have it show up in the Report module when generating "Patient and Case Information" so that we do not have to hand write it in; and to allow separate parent information areas for parents that are not married and/or living together. This feature would be applicable to 100% of our patients and allow us to move away from trying to contain all of this information in the "Notes" section of the Patient Information screen or having to access the patient's physical file every time we need the information.

This information can be input in the case setup under "Guarantor". One thing that'd be really cool is to have the software check the birth date of the patient when setting up a case and make the guarantor a required field if the patient is under 18 years of age. (For me, this would be great ssince my office staff keeps forgetting to input this information - and I'm embarrassed to have been sending bills to minors). And, maybe in adminstration you can turn this checking of DOB on and off... (and if off, the gurantor field would not be a required field)?

Feedback and Knowledge Base